- This event has passed.
SA Soil Field Day
February 28 @ 8:30 am - 6:00 pm$40 – $50
Healthy and Productive Groves Field Day Program
Sunday 28 February 2021 – Peninsula Providore / Nangkita Olive Grove, 2250 Bull Creek Road, Tooperang SA. (Take the Nangkita Rd from Mt Compass and turn left on Bull Creek Rd to #2250).
Field Day Host – Mel Hollick, owner of Peninsula Providore / Nangkita Olive Grove
- Arrival from 8.30 am at Nangkita Olive grove
- Refreshments on arrival
- Commence: 9.00 am
AM Welcome, introductions, grove walk and soil and leaf nutrition surveys:
- 9.00 AM Session 1 (40 min): Introductions: “Setting the scene & defining the problem” – with Peter McFarlane (OliveCare® Administrator) – Lifting grove productivity and OliveCare® grove best practice checklists.
- 9.40 PM Session 2 (100 min) Grove Walk: “Grove innovations and issues” – considerations for managing an olive grove, including grove redevelopment & management to improve soil and tree health, and grove productivity – with Mel Hollick (Peninsula Providore / Nangkita Olive Grove):
- Nangkita Olive Grove on-farm biosecurity best practice – with Peter McFarlane (OliveCare® Administrator) and Mel Hollick
- Nangkita Olive Grove maintaining a productive tree canopy with Andrew Taylor (Pendleton Estate) & Mel Hollick
- Nangkita Olive Grove nutrition best practice (Ref session 3) with Peter Briscoe (Bioptiv) & Mel Hollick
- Nangkita Olive Grove managing, including inter row management, conserving soil moisture mulching and the benefits of building soil carbon with Andy Gulliver (C-Wise), Peter Wadewitz (Peats Soils) & Mel Hollick
- Nangkita Olive Grove Dealing with soil drainage issues – ‘wet feet’ – phytophthora and other soil / water borne fungal disease problems with Peter Briscoe (Bioptiv) and Mel Hollick
- Nangkita Olive Grove Monitoring soil moisture and dealing with frost issues with Jon Lockwood (OneTemp), Tom Nelligan (Swan Systems) & Mel Hollick
11.20 AM Break for refreshments (shed): (20 Minutes)
- 11.40 PM Session 3 (60 Min): Soil and Leaf nutrition sampling and analysis with Peter Briscoe (Bioactive Soil Solutions)
- How to sample grove soils for nutrition analysis – how when where?
- Interpreting soil analysis reports
- How to sample the grove for a leaf analysis– how when where?
- Interpreting leaf analysis reports
- Planning a grove nutrition program including use of soil conditioners
12.40 PM Break for Lunch: (60 Minutes): With exhibitor grove measuring / monitoring equipment
- Soil improvement / composting with Peter Wadewitz (Peats Soils)
- Soil / Leaf analysis and grove nutrition with Peter Briscoe (Bioptiv)
- Demonstration of measuring microbial activity in soil with Peter Briscoe (Bioptiv)
- Soil moisture monitoring with Jon Lockwood (OneTemp) & Tom Nelligan (Swan Systems)
- On-farm weather stations with Jon Lockwood (OneTemp) & Tom Nelligan (Swan Systems)
- Also a guided tour of Nangkita Olive Grove olive oil processing and cellar door facilities with Mel Hollick
PM: Soils, making and using compost, field day evaluation:
- 1.40 PM Session 4 (100 Min): Utilising grove organic waste, making and using compost with Andy Gulliver (C-Wise) & Peter Wadewitz (Peats Soils)
- 3.20 PM Break for refreshments: (20 Minutes)
- 3.40 PM Session 3 (60 Min): Soils – “Understanding the role of soil carbon, soil water and soil biology” with Andy Gulliver (C-Wise) & Peter Wadewitz (Peats Soils)
- What is soil carbon and where does it come from
- Soil carbon and soil water
- Collecting more water
- Holding more water
- Giving more water
- Reducing losses
- Economic benefits
- The importance of building soil and tree health for IPDM
- Composting training course and consultancy services
- 4.40 PM – Field day feedback and evaluation (cellar door) (20 Min)
- 5.00 PM Field day concludes followed by refreshments until 6.00 pm
This project has been funded by Hort Innovation, using the Hort Innovation olive research and development levy, co-investment from the Australian Olive Association and contributions from the Australian Government.