To support growth in the horticulture sector, Hort Innovation has launched an extension initiative involving staff based in Australia’s main horticultural growing regions.
The Regional Extension Managers work to enhance the co-ordination, communication and application of R&D outcomes across their regions, playing a linking role within the industry.
Over the past year, the Extension Team have been working on a regional level to:
- identify cross-industry issues with growers and other supply chain stakeholders;
- investigate approaches to whole-of-horticulture concerns such as farm waste, biosecurity and water efficiency;
- initiate Hort Frontiers investments in collaboration with the private sector in the areas of leadership and extension;
- conduct grower consultations to renew industry Strategic Investment Plans;
- manage the industry development portfolio and facilitate networking with industry development delivery partners to create peer-to-peer learning opportunities.
A series of written and video profiles of the extension team have been developed so you can get to know your Regional Extension Manager, including their background in extension work and the skills that they bring to the role.
The six managers are:
Jane Wightman, Head of Extension + North-East region
Adrian Englefield, South-East region (from NSW mid-north coast to Riverina and Goulburn Valley)
Bronwyn Walsh, Western region (WA)
Jason Hingston, Southern region (southern Victoria and Tasmania)
Jay Cummins, Tri-State region (SA, Sunraysia region of northern VIC, parts of NSW)
Olive Hood, Northern region (Broome to Darwin and TNQ to Mackay)
View the profiles here and find out more about the Hort Innovation Extension initiative.