Share this post
Recent research conducted by the Modern Olives Laboratory confirms that Australian EVOO is the safest and most stable oil to cook with. Canola oil, grapeseed oil and rice bran oil, were found to be the least stable and produced the highest level of polar compounds when heated.
Key findings include:
- smoke point does not predict an oil’s performance when heated
- oxidative stability and UV coefficients are better predictors when combined with total level of polyunsaturated fats
- of all the oils tested, EVOO produced the lowest level of polar compounds
- production of polar compounds was more pronounced for refined oils
- EVOO was the most stable oil when heated, followed closely by other virgin oils
Read the full report here https://actascientific.com/ASNH/pdf/ASNH-02-0083.pdf and access all the Olive Wellness Institute resources on the nutrition, health and wellness benefits of olives and olive products here.